You’ve probably realised by now that laser hair removal is an easier way to deal with unwanted hair. But the lasers available today are not the same. That’s why you need to do your homework so you will know which laser treatments are able to deliver results efficiently and effectively.
In this blog, we’ll give you a headstart on how to prepare for laser hair removal in 5 easy steps!
TAP HERE for everything you need to know about Laser Hair Removal Singapore from The Aesthetics Centre
STEP 1: SEEK ADVICE FROM A LASER HAIR REMOVAL EXPERT
Unlike waxing, threading, and shaving which can be done at home or in spas, laser hair removal must be done by a certified doctor at a clinic.
According to the Guidelines on Aesthetic Practices for Doctors by the Singapore Medical Council, specialists who have no sufficient hands-on training on laser hair removal should refrain from performing it until they have undergone additional training and acquired the necessary experience to do so competently.
Laser devices are not foolproof. That is why you need a certified doctor who is trained to do the treatment for you. They can do a comprehensive assessment to determine the number of sessions you will approximately need to achieve the desired outcome.
At The Aesthetics Centre Singapore, Dr Anita Soosay will:
- assess if the results you want are realistic and doable at the clinic
- check if you have no contraindications for the procedure
- explain the probability of side effects, and how to address them
- detail how to prepare for the treatment and recovery period
- determine the number of sessions you need, and the cost
The doctor will then make a detailed treatment plan based on your discussion. So, be sure to disclose pre-existing medical conditions, allergies, medications you’re taking, and procedures you have had in the past.
Know more about Dr. Anita Soosay, CLICK HERE
STEP 2: PLAN AHEAD
Finding yourself here is a good first step in planning ahead. Doing your homework will help you achieve good results.
For instance, if you’re planning to undergo laser hair removal, you should limit plucking, waxing, and electrolysis for six weeks before treatment. That’s because the laser targets the roots of the hair, which can be temporarily removed when you wax or pluck. You must also avoid sun exposure and fake tanning products within four weeks before the treatment.
5 Things About Laser Hair Removal – and it’s all you need to know
STEP 3: KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT DURING TREATMENT
The length of treatment will always depend on the areas you want to cover. Typically, a single area can be done under an hour, but you can call ahead so you can arrange your schedule. The good thing is that once you’re done, there is no downtime, so you can get right back to your usual activities.
Your dermatologist will carry out a patch test for each and every area of treatment. The reason is that your hair and skin are not the same everywhere on your body. A patch test will also reveal any adverse side effects or problems before going into a full session.
Here’s other things you can expect during the treatment:
- You will be asked to wear eye shields.
- The treatment area will be shaved if you haven’t done so
- The device settings will be configured to your skin/hair colour/condition
- There will be pauses, to check the progress, and if you’re comfortable
- You’ll be asked about your menstrual cycle (a pain-sensitivity factor)
- You’ll be monitored throughout the procedure for any adverse reactions.
Once your laser hair removal treatment is done, your skin may be red for a few minutes or a few hours. You will also be given aftercare instructions before you are sent home. Make sure that you follow these instructions.
STEP 4: COMPLETE YOUR FOLLOW-UP TREATMENTS
You’ll notice smoother skin after the procedure, but it approximately takes multiple sessions to get rid of unwanted hair. Typically, 6 sessions is necessary to achieve significant hair reduction, but this can vary for each patient.
Note that hair grows at different stages, so don’t be alarmed if you notice hair growth after the second week. Some follicles that were in the resting phase during treatment may grow hair a few weeks after. This explains why follow-up sessions are required.
These treatments are spaced out for at least 4-6 weeks. Aside from targeting hair growth at different phases, spacing gives enough time for your skin to recover and the dead hair shafts fall out on their own.
STEP 5: STICK TO YOUR AFTERCARE INSTRUCTIONS
Most of the time, patients at The Aesthetics Centre Singapore share how their sessions were such a breeze, and that they’re happy with the results.
However, this is not always the case for everyone. Some people may experience side effects from the procedure itself, but problems can also develop with poor aftercare. Your healing process and your skin’s response to the treatment depends on the health of your immune system.
Here are some tips to help your skin bounce back so that it looks and feels as smooth and silky as realistically possible:
- Follow the doctor-prescribed skin care regimen to the letter
- Use the skincare products the doctor recommends
- Skip the gym, sauna, and swimming pool for a while
- Don’t exfoliate for at least a week after the treatment
- Skip activities that make you sweat, or those that get the treated area soaked
- Avoid touching, rubbing, and scratching the treated area, especially on the first few days after the procedure.
- Avoid tight-fitting clothes that will come in contact with the treated area.
- Make a habit of using sunblock with SPF 25 or higher.
At The Aesthetics Centre, we use GentleMax Pro™ laser by Candela, a trusted brand in the industry for over two decades. It’s a dual-platform laser that safely targets hair on all types of skin/hair. It is safe to use on Asian skin, especially those with darker skin tones.
Claim that confidence and get that silky smooth, hair-free skin you’ve always dreamed of. BOOK A CONSULTATION today to see if you’re a good candidate for LASER HAIR REMOVAL!
Problems with Excessive/Unsightly Hair?
Let’s solve it together!
Fill up the form to get a no-obligation personalised consultation
with The Aesthetics Centre today.