Did you know that rubbing or washing your face too hard can cause broken capillaries? Spider veins or thread veins are tiny blood vessels that run close to the surface of the skin. They appear like fine red or purple wiggly lines which are medically referred to as telangiectasia.
Spider veins tend to develop as we age as our skin and blood vessels become less elastic. They usually appear on the face around the eyes, nose or cheeks. The ones found in your face differ from those found in other areas of the body. Although these are usually harmless, some people prefer to address this issue in Singapore for cosmetic purposes.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. How does Laser Vein Removal work?
The laser energy passes through the skin to the blood vessels that you want eliminated. When the energy is absorbed by pigment in the blood it then causes selective damage to the lining of the targeted blood vessels. The duration of the pulses is carefully determined to prevent transferring excessive heat to the surrounding skin.
The blood vessels that have been destroyed are reabsorbed by the body and the blood flow is directed back to the deeper vessels.
2. Who are good candidates for this treatment?
Laser Vein Removal can be performed on most skin types, however, it is still necessary to evaluate your skin further so that we can customize treatment based on the size, color of unwanted blood vessels, skin color and location on the body. The unique design of the laser used at The Aesthetics Centre allows us to treat people of all skin colors.
3. What are the benefits of Laser Vein Removal in terms of removing unwanted blood vessels compared to alternative treatments?
- This treatment combines speed and comfort to provide long-lasting results.
- It targets small blood vessels which are difficult or impossible to target with sclerotherapy or vein stripping.
- There is less likelihood of bruising as opposed to injection sclerotherapy which can break the skin and the wall of the blood vessel.
4. How many treatments are needed?
It will depend on the number of veins, their size and location. Since we individualize our treatment, we can better give you the number of sessions needed after an initial consultation.
5. Is Laser Vein Removal painful?
The sensation of the laser as it hits the skin is described to be like that of a rubber band gently snapped against your skin. Even though it is tolerable, a local anaesthetic cream may also be used. The laser destroys these broken capillaries by heat, but you won’t feel any burning sensation. The heat delivered comes in pulses in less than a thousandth of a second, targeting only the unwanted veins and capillaries and leaving the rest of the skin untouched. Even sensitive areas such as the cheeks and the nose can be easily treated with minimal discomfort.
6. Is there a downtime to Laser Vein Removal?
The most realistic description of the results of the laser treatment is that it can create long-term blood vessel reduction.